Bear Essentials Program
Bear Essentials is a family support program that assists with the costs of health-related travel and equipment for Island kids. The program is designed for families that struggle to afford the associated costs or that have barriers limiting their ability to access health care or equipment for their child.
Bear Essentials is a program accessed through referral only. A health care professional familiar with a child’s needs and family circumstances should complete the online application on their behalf, with the consent of the applicant’s parent or primary guardian.
Eligible applicants must meet all the following conditions:
- 0 to 19 years old (prenatal up to 20th birthday)
- live on Vancouver Island or the surrounding islands
- have a medical condition, health challenge, or disability confirmed by a health care professional
- require financial support to cover the cost of the item(s) in the application, and
- have not exceeded the lifetime Bear Essentials maximum of $10,000.
Visit the website for more information and for the online application. Children’s Health Foundation of Vancouver Island – Bear Essentials (islandkidsfirst.com)